Based in Orlando, Florida
Early February 2014
DescriptionBash your way through hordes of zealots, fanatics, and beasts in a bid to overthrow a tyrannical god in this unforgiving 2.5D side-scrolling beat 'em up with roguelike elements. You, as the Ascendant, suddenly manifest in a world populated by raging fanatics, devout zealots, and wild beasts, furious at your arrival into their plane. You are a challenge to the rule of the older, tyrannical gods, and they will stop at nothing to eliminate you. The world has succumbed to their might and you must travel through the land gaining strength, enhancing your abilities, and gathering an army of followers to oppose their reign.
HistoryThe inspiration for Ascendant came from the countless hours we’ve spent playing other roguelikes and brawlers over the years. We have taken a number of lessons from these experiences and are shaping them to form our own version of a side-scrolling brawler. We knew, with our large art support, that we wanted something visually stunning, while our love for exciting, engaging beat ‘em up mechanics would drive us to create strong, unique gameplay.
- Aspects - Aspects are part of a socket system that actively enhances a player's weapon, spell, or armor. Each aspect has their own unique characteristics and placing them into different sockets will yield varying effects. For example, an ice-based Aspect on a weapon would freeze enemies that are launched into the air while the same Aspect socketed into the Ascendant’s armor would allow for a slow-fall effect to be activated during descent.
- Agile Brawler-based combat - Martial weapons are the primary way that the Ascendant dispatches enemies. You will be able to perform ground and air combos to slice your way through the frenzied hordes of beasts and fanatics. Knowing when to strike, when your enemy is at a disadvantage, and when to evade; these are things that will be important while exploring the world. Additionally, enemies can be launched into the air using a chargeable power attack which can then be followed up by juggling with more air combos and ranged spells.
- A Constantly Changing World - Each playthrough creates an entirely new maze of environments for players to navigate. You will never know exactly what you will encounter in the next room, or what you will find in a chest, and even in some cases which boss you will be fighting next.
Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
Ascendant has not received any awards or recognitions yet. Please check back later to see if things change.
- "It’s just an absolutely beautiful (albeit deadly) world that the developers have created, and I can’t wait to see more of the environments and monsters"
- Brandon Schmidt, The Indie Mine
- "Combat is deliberately tough, and your character isn’t overwhelmed with health"
- John Walker, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "I love how the game is coming together"
- Chris Priestman, Indie Statik
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About Hapa Games
We are a small indie game studio and want to make really fun, visually beautiful games.
More information on Hapa Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.