Based in Orlando, Florida
Early February 2014
Ascendant is the unforgiving beat 'em up that challenges you with a new world each time you play. It utilizes a number of modern roguelike elements such as permadeath and procedurally generated environments. You are a demigod who invades a plane controlled by your rivals. They will stop at nothing to eliminate you. Only the most impressive warriors will triumph over their armies of zealots and beasts.
The inspiration for Ascendant came from the countless hours we’ve spent playing other roguelikes and brawlers over the years. We have taken a number of lessons from these experiences and are shaping them to form our own version of a side-scrolling brawler. We knew, with our large art support, that we wanted something visually stunning, while our love for exciting, engaging beat ‘em up mechanics would drive us to create strong, unique gameplay.
- Death is Final – When your enemies defeat you, the game is over. No respawning. No returning to the last save point. You will need all of your cunning and skill to win.
- A New World Each Run – Each playthrough creates a new hazardous land for adventure. You will never know exactly what you will encounter in the next room, which hazards will be presented to you, what you will find in a chest, or even (in some cases) which boss you will be fighting next. Expect hours of replayability and new challenges.
- A Brutal Struggle – The armies of your demigod rivals are relentless. When a foe cuts you with his sword, it hurts. If you slip into a pit of spikes, the blades leave deep wounds. If a bomb explodes nearby you will burn. Health recovery items are rare. Fight with precision, speed, and timing to survive. Dodge attacks and crush your opponent when he is off-balance to seize the advantage.
- Agile Beat 'em Up Combat – Slam enemies into each other to deal massive damage. Pummel enemies with ground and air combos or launch a barrage of spells. Launch your opponents in the air with rapid dashing assaults making them helpless against your divine onslaught.
- Blessings – Blessings are part of ancient relics that players can find and equip on either their weapon, armor, or spell. Each of these sockets will grant a different power. Double jump, choke your enemies with a poison cloud, or jolt them to ashes with lightning. Equip and customize your Blessings to determine your own fate.
Launch Trailer YouTube
WTF is Ascendant YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "It’s just an absolutely beautiful (albeit deadly) world that the developers have created, and I can’t wait to see more of the environments and monsters"
- Brandon Schmidt, The Indie Mine
- "Combat is deliberately tough, and your character isn’t overwhelmed with health"
- John Walker, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "I love how the game is coming together"
- Chris Priestman, Indie Statik
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About Hapa Games
We are a small indie game studio and want to make really fun, visually beautiful games.
More information on Hapa Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.